November 10, 2012

NaNoWrongMo


Last year I tried NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) for the first time, and to my great surprise found the challenge doable. It was hard, but I put writing first for 30 days and wrote 50,000 words of a novel. Yippee!

This year? Not so much.

As the month approached I started fretting that my next novel idea was little more than a concept, with no real characters or plot. I thought maybe I'd start pantsing it, but I had no real faith that that would work, especially in the relentless word factory of NaNo.

Ten days in I find myself trailing the daily goal by about half--down some 7,000 words. Boo. When I look at the word totals it makes me want to give up.

But on the plus side, I've written a little something every day, even if some days it's only two hundred words. It's two hundred words that maybe I wouldn't have written otherwise.

Will I write a novel this month? No way, José. Unpossible.

But I am writing. One word at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment