December 31, 2012

Another Dang Year

Well, the world didn't end at the end of the Baktun, and I think I speak for everyone when I say, "Crap."

But in the meantime, life and writing happened. I finished a novel, and though reports from early readers are uneven at best, at least it's finished. I hope to find it a home in 2013.

It was a very good year in short fiction. I sold nine (9!) stories this year, which is more than in all my other years of story-selling combined. Five were published in 2012, three of them by Every Day Fiction. Links to all are on my "publications" page.

Two of the as-yet-unpublished stories were commissioned, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, like a "real" writer. More information on these to follow in the new year. One of them has a cover illustrated by a totally badass artist, which also makes me feel "real."


The remaining two sales are stories I wrote prior to attending Clarion West in 2009. "The Final Testament of a Weapons Engineer" will be in After Death, an anthology edited by Eric J. Guignard and published by Dark Moon Books. "A Fairy Tale" is a story I wrote in my MFA program, which I used to apply to Clarion West. I just learned it will be sharing a TOC in The Colored Lens with CW classmate Kris Millering's application story, a coincidence that is as random as it is awesome.

And yeah, I also wrote a few stories, some of which are starting the long slow trip through slush piles.

Here's hoping life and writing continue to improve in 2013! As far as I know, there are no apocalypses planned for the next few years. Yay?

No comments:

Post a Comment