April 05, 2015

What is work/life balance?

Can I tell you a story, hypothetical blog readers? This is the story of my year so far.

January was shaping up all right. My traveling companions and I had planned a trip to Iceland, and that was truly a wonderful week. I owe you many postcards, which you may or may not get to see. Iceland in January turns out to be a marvelous land of fire and ice, with daylight made entirely of sunrise/set glow and steaming hot baths to warm up in everywhere. We even saw a volcano!

Amazing, right?
One of the amazing things about the trip was that I managed to do it at all. You see, the previous year had been largely about learning how to work a full time dayjob, as the Editor-in-chief of the Norwegian American Weekly. This was my first time taking a whole week off, and it went beautifully! I essentially did four weeks of work in three, leaving just a little for my more-than-capable assistant to finish in my absence. The Monday after our trip was press day, and it was one of the easiest ones ever. It was like I finally had this newspaper editor thing under control.

That Monday I had a very welcome, mild jetlag that woke me early feeling terrific. It felt like New Year's Day--without the hangover. I started writing again. I set goals. I got shit done. Life was going to be good.

That Wednesday, in what I thought was going to be a routine staff meeting, my work life collapsed. The publisher of the newspaper told me that the issue I was already working on would be our last.

A few days later he changed his mind and had us put out more issues, which was a relief in the sense that I was maybe not losing my job--oh, and that 125 years of publishing history wasn't being flushed down the toilet--but it was also a lot of work. I wasn't writing in the mornings anymore; I was weeping ugly stress tears.

Two months later, it now looks like we'll be okay. I feel like I'm starting to crawl out of the hole that chaos dropped me into. Somehow I've managed to write one story. I was kind of a bad writer and sent it virtually un-edited to the anthology I wrote it for, because I just couldn't manage to write it in time to get feedback. Other writers take note: never do this. I will be shocked if they accept the story (but at least it's drafted, right? sometimes even a missed deadline is useful).

We are running an Indiegogo campaign to raise money for the newspaper.
If you'd like to donate, please visit
www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-the-norwegian-american-weekly.


2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that work has been so unsettled. I hope things continue to improve, and congrats on drafting a new story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sweet! Thanks for signal boosting the work thing too. :)

      Delete